Richard Blute's Home Page
Facts about me:
- I am a professor in the
Department of Mathematics and Statistics of the
University of Ottawa.
- I am the Vice-Dean of Graduate Studies for the Faculty of Science.
- I am a member of the Ottawa Logic and Foundations of Computing Group and the
Theory Research Centre in Montreal.
- I am a frequent visitor to the Quantum Group at the
Oxford University Computing Lab and the
Laboratoire Preuves, Programmes et Systemes (PPS).
- I am a trustee of the
CAUT Defence Fund
- I am on the Executive Committee and Collective Bargaining Committee
Association of Professors of The University of Ottawa
- I am an editor for the electronic
journal Theory and Applications of
Categories (TAC) and the print journal
Mathematical Structures in Computer Science (MSCS).
- I am a lifelong citizen of
Red Sox Nation
and New England Patriots fan.
is my favorite musician, but I also like
- I especially like what is frequently called free jazz or
is a great website for reviews of new releases.
Some of my favorite musicians who are frequently
discussed there are
Evan Parker, Anthony Braxton, Marilyn Crispell and Mats Gustaffson.
The course website for MATH 1300 is
My primary research areas are:
- Linear logic, most recently differential linear logic
- Categorical Logic and proof theory
- Category theory, especially monoidal categories
- Applications of category theory to physics
In June 2014, I spoke at the Institut Henri
Poincare in the special workshop
Semantics of Proofs and Programs. The talk was on Derivations in
Codifferential Categories. It was joint work with Keith O'Neill and Rory
Lucyshyn-Wright. Here are the
In May, 2013, I spoke at the Annual Meeting of the
Symbolic Logic. Here are the
I spoke at the Logic And Interactions Workshop at Luminy on Homological
Algebra and Differential Linear Logic. Here are the
I spoke at four conferences in 2011. The first three talks were
about differential structure in the category
vector spaces. This was joint work with Thomas Ehrhard and
Since the emphasis was different in all 3, I include
the slides of each:
More recently, I spoke about Von Neumann Categories at the conference
Category Theory 2011.
joint work with Marc Comeau, one of my graduate students.
Here are the slides.
In Summer 2009, I spoke at the conference
Quanta, Concepts (CQC) at the Perimeter Institute.
the talk can be seen here.
Here is a list of my publications,
together with some links.
I am currently accepting graduate students.
Here are some ideas for possible projects a grad student could work
For any questions or comments contact rblute at uottawa dot ca.